Hike only in December? Despite strong US economic data since they last met, the US Federal Reserve’s (Fed) Open Market Committee (FOMC) struck a rather cautious tone in its media conference this week. As a result, market expectations are now pointing to the first hike only in December. (more…)
The number of new millionaires in Africa is steadily growing, with more than 160 000 individuals ...
Uber, the on-demand transport business, is now the world’s most valuable travel start-up, valued at ...
Given that state-owned power utility Eskom’s woes continue to weigh heavily on the country’s economy, ...
The recent fires across the South Peninsula in March have highlighted the extreme damage which ...
By David Crossley, Practice Manager at BDO Wealth For many people, the gentle art of ...
A few months ago we put the probability of a de jure exit at about 25% over the next two years. Today we think that probability has risen to about 40%. However, we have also emphasised that there is a strong possibility of a semi-exit where capital controls are imposed and the ECB (European Central […]
Morningstar Research recently released its biannual Global Fund Investor Experience report, which assesses the experiences of mutual fund investors in 25 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. South Africa scored a grade of C in the report. Morningstar researchers identified Korea and the United States as the most investor-friendly markets and China the […]
Lately, the investment strategies employed in managing retirement funds have tended to favour a performance-based framework as fund managers chase the best returns. While this strategy may seem more attractive on the surface as it aims to maximise wealth creation, the returns achieved don’t always meet the needs of investors in retirement. (more…)
Google “retirement” and you’ll find a staggering 208 million results. Google “financial independence” – a term which would be synonymous with retirement in an ideal world – and you will find about 15 million results, says Daphne Byers, Advice Partner at The Wealth Corporation. (more…)
The South African government’s recently concluded three-year wage agreement with the public sector unions is an encouraging step towards improving the country’s current tepid potential growth. The agreement comprised a consumer price inflation (CPI) plus 2% (7% nominal) increase in 2015, followed by increases of CPI plus 1% in each of 2016 and 2017. There […]
Today we’re privileged to have award winning economist Colen Garrow as our guest newsletter writer. Colen has a BCom (Hons) in Economics. He started a career in banking with Barclays Bank in 1983. He joined Brait, a JSE listed private equity company in 2001. Since his exit from Brait, Colen started Meganomics, a platform being […]
Offshore investing and wealth management require a different perspective and view. If a wealth portfolio is global does it make sense to use a global adviser? Mike Abbott, head of Sable Wealth, says that an international adviser can give advice when various jurisdictions are involved, and can build and manage a global portfolio. A growing […]
The rand has seen marked volatility this year, starting 2014 at R11.55/USD and weakening to R12.49/USD, with retracement to R11.35/USD in Q1 2015, but mainly recording losses against the US dollar. This is according to Investec economist Annabel Bishop. The weakest rand/US dollar exchange rate was reached in 2001 – R13.75. Bishop says that investors […]
Major investment institutions and leading asset managers have welcomed the recent launch of the South African Investment Panorama survey. The study, which is a project spearheaded by international strategic research company Insight Discovery, is designed to identify the issues that have an impact on South Africa’s Independent Financial Advisors. Nigel Sillitoe, CEO of Insight Discovery, […]
Follow us on Twitter
- #US creates 223,000 jobs in June, unemployment falls to 5.3% 21 hours ago
- #Solidarity, in conjunction with KragDag, over the weekend launched an emergency plan aimed at the event of a total #Eskom blackout. 23 hours ago
- #FNB/#BER consumer confidence plunges to 14-year low. 23 hours ago
- #RMB - Today is all about the US non-farm payrolls figure: a strong read will see the #rand weaken, most notably against the dollar. 24 hours ago
- #SA's Purchasing Managers Index (#PMI) edged up to 51.4 in June from 50.8 previously. 2 days ago
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Regulatory Exams: Flavour of the Month June 29, 2010
- Insolvency July 6, 2010
- Actuaries a wanted resource post the global crisis June 20, 2010
- ASISA announces full Board of Directors June 20, 2010
- Blue Ink Wins Best Fund of Hedge Fund Award June 20, 2010
- US Fed: data-dependant or data-sceptical? July 1, 2015
- Morningstar: South Africa Scores C Grade June 30, 2015
- Investing towards a goal June 30, 2015
- Financial independence vs. retirement June 25, 2015
- How probable is a ‘Grexit’? June 19, 2015
- top seo company: Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find...
- Sanet: Is there still exam dates and venues to write the ...
- What is Insolvency?: I do not even know the way I ended up here, but I ...
- Vanessa Reinecke: I wrote the exam on 23 May 2011. There were only ...
- Gerard: I have written the exams during Jan 2011.4% pass r...