Major investment institutions and leading asset managers have welcomed the recent launch of the South African Investment Panorama survey. The study, which is a project spearheaded by international strategic research company Insight Discovery, is designed to identify the issues that have an impact on South Africa’s Independent Financial Advisors. Nigel Sillitoe, CEO of Insight Discovery, […]
By Kobus Hanekom, head of strategy, governance and compliance at Simeka Consultants and Actuaries (pictured) ...
Tristan Hanson, head of asset allocation at Ashburton Investments recently attended the CLSA Japan Forum ...
Preserving one’s wealth for current and future generations is a constantly changing ballgame – particularly ...
Frank Magwegwe – Segment CEO: Momentum Retail has provides an easy to understand explanation of ...
There is sometimes confusion as to what will actually constitute your estate for Estate Duty ...
- Q: How did you get involved in financial services - was it always something you wanted to do?
- A: I was a school teacher before I got into financial services in 1991. I initially got into it because I thought it had exciting career opportunities. I joined Liberty as an associate financial adviser and, as I rose up the ranks there, I came to appreciate the value of good advice more and more. I became very passionate about the life insurance industry. Insurance is about protecting the people that are most important in your life. It gave me a platform to help people make the best financial decisions for their families.
- Q: How competitive is the local long-term insurance market - does this benefit the end user?
- A: The South African long-term insurance industry is highly competitive. We’re world leaders when it comes to innovation and product development. BrightRock was born out of the need to give consumers the most cutting-edge needs-matched solutions in market. We’re constantly moving forward with our product development and the way we interact with our policyholders. So yes, I think that the competitive nature of our industry definitely benefits the user in the end.
- Q: What makes a good long-term insurance product?
- A: There are many elements that make a good life insurance product. Transparency is one of them; clients must be aware and understand the products they are buying. A lot of products in the market today are based on price instead of quality. The client should be able to get value for their premiums and that makes the product more sustainable long-term. The needs and risks of clients change as their lives change and their insurance policies should change with them. When clients buy insurance policies based on price instead of value, they lose out in the end.
- Q: How (and why) important are independent financial advisers to the SA financial services industry?
- A: Quality financial advice as a whole is essential in our industry. Clients need advisers who’ll be able to help them plan for their future while taking all of their needs into account. Independent financial advice helps clients because they know that the person who’s giving them the advice isn’t incentivised to sell one product over another. The value of independent financial advisers in our industry is that they keep the industry as a whole honest and accountable to the end-user.
Here is my fantasy: One day I will wake up and Eskom won’t be in the news. I will turn on lights and laptops (responsibly) and won’t think about when they will need to be charged because there is loadshedding. Eskom will have clients and competition. As a client of Eskom, they will communicate clearly […]
Offshore investing and wealth management require a different perspective and view. If a wealth portfolio is a global does it make sense to use a global adviser? Mike Abbot, head of Sable Wealth, says that an international adviser can give advice when various jurisdictions are involved, and can build and manage a global portfolio. A […]
Life happens. Before you know it, your child is six years old and ready to start Grade R…and you realise you haven’t put a cent away for their education. “We sometimes find it difficult to prioritise education savings because of urgent financial commitments. Very often paying off a mortgage bond, utility bills, medical and grocery […]
Beware of too high cash allocations in post retirement savings. This can be a problem for an investor who needs growth and doesn’t take a holistic view of their investment portfolio. Saving for retirement and managing wealth in retirement requires specific objectives and skills. Business development manager at Grindrod Asset Management, Marc Thomas, says that […]
By Anthea Towert, CFP®| Financial Planning Institute’s Healthcare Competency Committee Chairperson Introduction The public has a constitutional right to insure themselves against any financial risk, but often they are unaware of the subtle differences between a health insurance product and a medical scheme. The belief is that a health insurance policy offers the same protection […]
There is an often quoted legal maxim that, “Justice delayed is justice denied”. In a recent judgment, Ackermans Limited v Commissioner for the South African Revenue Service, the Gauteng High Court was asked to review and set aside a SARS decision to raise additional assessments. Ackermans’ main ground for review was that SARS had unreasonably […]
The UK’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne announced a further reduction to the lifetime allowance (LTA) for pension tax relief in his 2015 Budget. The amount individuals can save tax-free into pensions has been slashed from £1.25-million down to £1-million in order to pay for tax giveaways. This may be bad news for UK […]
Significant GDP growth is expected for a number of emerging markets over the coming 10 to 15 years, pointing to potentially stellar emerging market growth. This is according to Feroz Basa, Co-Head of Global Emerging Markets for Old Mutual Investment Group. He says that investors who avoid Global Emerging Markets due to their perceived risks […]
Entrants in the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge® will have a spring in their step as they realize their efforts will help make a positive change in the lives of youngsters throughout South Africa. J.P. Morgan will make a donation to the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation in celebration of the capacity crowd of 13,000 runners […]
IRESS, the leading supplier of financial markets, wealth and mortgage management systems, today announces the global launch of SmartHub. SmartHub is a trade messaging hub designed to connect financial market participants locally and across the globe, covering FIX and other trading communities. SmartHub, which launches globally at today’s EMEA FIX Trading Community conference in London, […]
Follow us on Twitter
- RT @marklives: #release: Janice Roberts named editor of MoneyMarketing magazine http://t.co/2JSunJ00c6 @mmmagza @NewMediaZA @Aloysius2012 14 hours ago retweeted via marklives
- Inflation is the silent killer of savings, Graham Tucker, Old Mutual Investment Group's MacroSolutions 4 weeks ago
- RT @JJ_UFS: paying more and more taxes means I have less money in my pocket to directly support poor students 1 month ago retweeted via JJ_UFS
- Budgets should be boring. You want to do nothing too dramatic that you cannot predict the effects of. Dennis Davis #FPISAIT2015 1 month ago
- How much is corruption costing SA - R30bn to R100bn - Judge Dennis Davis, 1 month ago
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MoneyMarketing Newsletter 26 March 2015: What matters about money
Money is a personal thing, a factual thing, involves a lot of trust, and managing […]
- Regulatory Exams: Flavour of the Month June 29, 2010
- Insolvency July 6, 2010
- Actuaries a wanted resource post the global crisis June 20, 2010
- ASISA announces full Board of Directors June 20, 2010
- Blue Ink Wins Best Fund of Hedge Fund Award June 20, 2010
- South African Investment Panorama study launched March 30, 2015
- Global investor = Global adviser March 30, 2015
- SA retirement funds ‘tax effective and well run’ March 30, 2015
- Japan: building momentum – is this time different? March 27, 2015
- Late-starters guide to saving for your child’s education March 27, 2015
- top seo company: Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find...
- Sanet: Is there still exam dates and venues to write the ...
- What is Insolvency?: I do not even know the way I ended up here, but I ...
- Vanessa Reinecke: I wrote the exam on 23 May 2011. There were only ...
- Gerard: I have written the exams during Jan 2011.4% pass r...