China’s Shanghai Composite index plummeted at the beginning of this week, falling 8.5%. This was its worst single-day fall since February 2007 and followed the release of economic data showing that Chinese industrial profits had dropped in June, compared with the previous year, while manufacturing activity was lower too. How worried should investors be? (more…)
The number of new millionaires in Africa is steadily growing, with more than 160 000 individuals ...
Uber, the on-demand transport business, is now the world’s most valuable travel start-up, valued at ...
Given that state-owned power utility Eskom’s woes continue to weigh heavily on the country’s economy, ...
The recent fires across the South Peninsula in March have highlighted the extreme damage which ...
By David Crossley, Practice Manager at BDO Wealth For many people, the gentle art of ...
New regulations for the South African hedge fund industry means change for all hedge funds and market participants. That’s the word from Andrew Bovell, Solutions Specialist, RisCura. “The amendments will ensure stricter regulation, tighter control and greater transparency of the industry, further strengthening the strong ‘self-regulatory’ framework that was in place since 2006.” (more…)
Extramarital affairs website, AshleyMaddison.com, was thrown into the spotlight recently after hackers threatened to release names and images of the site’s many members. (more…)
You’ve heard all about it in depth on CNN, Sky, Bloomberg, CNBC and Al Jeezera: Iran will shortly be open for business and investors are champing at the bit. No doubt MTN is congratulating itself on having patiently kept up its investment in that country for several years. It owns 49% of Iran’s second-biggest network […]
Q: Where do South Africa’s leading financial advisers find a list of contacts for financial products, services and tailored solutions? A: MoneyMarketing’s Financial Advisers Directory 2015, of course. (more…)
Given the increase in consumer prices and the high incidence of layoffs, trade union Solidarity has urged its members to tighten their belts – not just during National Savings Month – but every month. (more…)
Will the South African government admit to policy failure? “No”, I hear you shout. But here’s the surprise: One of our ministers has actually acknowledged that there are areas in which the government hasn’t done well. This admission was made by Ebrahim Patel and reported on by News24. (more…)
Follow us on Twitter
- #Eskom to implement stage 2 load shedding at 5pm today 6 hours ago
- #Renaissance Capital’s Rey Wium to leave to join #Standard Bank. 8 hours ago
- #SA's Manufacturing PMI unchanged in July. 9 hours ago
- #CORONATION says it's reducing the fees on a large number of its funds. 11 hours ago
- Workers at #Australia’s seven international #airports are planning mass strikes from Monday 1 day ago
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Regulatory Exams: Flavour of the Month June 29, 2010
- Insolvency July 6, 2010
- Actuaries a wanted resource post the global crisis June 20, 2010
- ASISA announces full Board of Directors June 20, 2010
- Blue Ink Wins Best Fund of Hedge Fund Award June 20, 2010
- How worried should we be about China? July 29, 2015
- Union fuming over ‘payment scandal’ at Telkom July 29, 2015
- Could you live on a pre-tax monthly income of R4 392? July 29, 2015
- SA Reserve Bank hikes rate by 25 basis points July 23, 2015
- Why the hacking of the Ashley Madison website is a concern July 23, 2015
- Sanet: Is there still exam dates and venues to write the ...
- What is Insolvency?: I do not even know the way I ended up here, but I ...
- Vanessa Reinecke: I wrote the exam on 23 May 2011. There were only ...
- Gerard: I have written the exams during Jan 2011.4% pass r...