More than a third of expatriates have misplaced pension pots, reveals one of the world’s largest independent financial advisory organisations, whose African operations are run from Cape Town. deVere Group says expats are typically more likely than those who remain in their ‘home’ countries to have lost track of retirement savings because, not only are […]
The adage goes that there is more joy in giving (rather than receiving), and for ...
The holiday season is just around the corner, we can almost smell it. For most ...
Instead of shopping early for Christmas, try saving early. The tip comes from Imara Asset ...
By Alwyn van der Merwe, director of investments at Sanlam Private Investments In December 2010, ...
In 2009, value based asset manager RECM was very vocal about the fact that mining ...
- Q: How did you get involved in financial services - was it always something you wanted to do?
- A: Initially my career path was set on the sciences route. I complete a BSc with majors in Microbiology and Biochemistry for my undergraduate studies at Rhodes. However, I have been in financial services my whole career starting out as a trainee manager in the Negotiated Benefits Consultants division at Alexander Forbes.
- Q: What makes a successful investment and wealth management company?
- A: People, culture, process and client-centricity. As a global business we have built a strong culture that combines exceptional talent with a robust investment process. When combined with our client-centric approach, this provides long-term investment success for our clients. As an investment management company we can only succeed by sharing in our clients’ successes.
- Q: What makes a successful investor?
- A: A successful investor needs to have a goal or objective, a strategy to achieve the required outcome and the resilience to stick to the strategy through thick and thin. To do this the investor needs to be well trained in the science of investing as well as possessing the experience and maturity to avoid emotions affecting decision making. If the investor does not have these requisite skills to devise and implement the strategy, they should enlist the help of a professional advisor and investment manager.
- Q: Do South Africans pay enough attention to African and offshore markets when investing?
- A: South Africans in my experience are underinvested in foreign equities. They tend to view the local market as the centre of their investment world and assume that our stock market gives them enough exposure to emerging markets and Africa. Historically this has not been a bad thing because of the strong performance of our market, however going forward we see better opportunities in other emerging markets, developed markets and in particular, Africa. We aim to give our clients access to all these opportunities through both our local African operations and our Global platforms across the Barclays Group.
Nelson Mandela’s passing last night (5 Dec 2013) at 8:50pm SA time marks the end of the life of a legend who has inspired all those who knew of him, met him, and witnessed his dignity and humility, ability to unite, reconcile and move forward. Many words will be said – some of his wonderful […]
Just as you make sure that your accommodation is booked, your flights are confirmed or your car is roadworthy, and your bags are packed with all essentials before embarking on your travels, you should also make sure that your personal financial affairs are in order before going on your December holiday. Peter Dempsey, deputy CEO […]
The levels of consumer indebtness in South Africa appear to be at alarmingly high levels, consumer debt is currently standing at R1.2-trillion, up from just R300-billion in 2002. Statistics recently released by the Reserve Bank show that household debt as a percentage of disposable income is at a worrying 76 percent. This has eased somewhat […]
South African listed property notched up a strong showing among the country’s listed companies that have earned the most for shareholders this year. The sector featured prominently overall, with 14 listed property investments performing in the top 100 over five years – based on share-price growth and investor returns. The sector’s top player in this […]
Investment Solutions says it is not convinced that asset managers are truly integrating environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into their investment processes. This is one of the findings of the second annual Responsible Investing survey that was recently conducted by Investment Solutions Responsible Investing Committee. This year, 50 asset managers completed the survey (up […]
It is a well-established principle of tax law to “pay-now-argue-later”. In other words, the obligation to pay tax arises when an assessment is issued and it is not suspended by an objection or an appeal against such assessment. A taxpayer who pays the disputed tax, and has his appeal or objection upheld is entitled to […]
There are few things that could ruin your well-deserved year-end holiday more than a serious health event that requires hospitalisation and treatment. Liberty Medical Scheme advises that you check these five things with your medical scheme before you go on your summer break. Casualty cover There is no denying the statistics regarding the number of […]
It seems that the year has flown by at break-neck speed. It’s hard to believe that in just a few weeks, South Africa will be winding down for the December holidays. It’s a time to rest, relax and spend time with loved ones. “Whether you’re heading off for the sun, sand and surf of the […]
How you spend your annual bonus money could change your financial destiny considerably, says Niel Fourie, Public Policy Actuary at the Actuarial Society of South Africa. If you are one of South Africa’s salary earners fortunate enough to qualify for a bonus payment this year, you have in all probability already decided how you are […]
By Camilla Edwards: Legal Advisor, PPS Investments As the end of tax filing season draws to a close, it’s a good time to remember that your retirement annuity (RA) offers you a very attractive tax benefit: A portion of the total contribution you make towards your RA in any given tax year is tax deductible. […]
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Newsletter 5 December 2013: Emerging markets – lost in transition
Are emerging markets’ growth prospects dwindling or not? Our first 13 years of the 21st […]
- Regulatory Exams: Flavour of the Month June 29, 2010
- Insolvency July 6, 2010
- Actuaries a wanted resource post the global crisis June 20, 2010
- ASISA announces full Board of Directors June 20, 2010
- Blue Ink Wins Best Fund of Hedge Fund Award June 20, 2010
- The expat lifestyle creates a “perfect storm for a pensions vacuum” December 6, 2013
- Tis the season to embrace the gift of giving December 6, 2013
- Make your bonus work for you December 6, 2013
- Make a special Christmas list – one that helps you save December 6, 2013
- The official sad day – are we worthy of the legacy? December 6, 2013
- top seo company: Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find...
- Sanet: Is there still exam dates and venues to write the ...
- What is Insolvency?: I do not even know the way I ended up here, but I ...
- Vanessa Reinecke: I wrote the exam on 23 May 2011. There were only ...
- Gerard: I have written the exams during Jan 2011.4% pass r...